Week in Review: May 27, 2017
The Trump administration released its 2018 budget this week. Once again we saw the media try to play up decreases in proposed spending as a form of draconian cuts, ignoring the fact that Trump's plan still reflects a significant increase in federal programs. Rather than trying to decentralize America's bloated welfare state, the Trump budget would continue to pile up debt and the ever growing problem of unfunded liabilities.
While Washington will eventually have to face the consequences of ignoring the laws of economics, there is still reason for optimism. While there may not be political solutions to the problems facing the world, they can still be found in the market.
On Mises Weekends, Jeff is joined by Patrick Newman, a Mises Institute scholar, professor at Florida Gulf Coast University, and the editor of a Rothbard manuscript dating to the 1970s entitled Roots of the Modern State, which we will release as a book later this year. Jeff and Patrick discuss Rotbhard's views on the progressive era and how it shaped America, including the puritanical impulses of leaders such as Wilson, Taft, and the Roosevelts, as well as the self-interested motivations behind the then-burgeoning intellectual-business partnership. Tune in for a great conversation about Rothbard's unique analysis of this critical time in US history.
Dr. Newman will be speaking about the new Rothbard book at our 35th Anniversary Celebration! Other speakers include Judge Andrew P. Napolitano, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, David Stockman, Guido Hülsmann, Tom Woods, and many others.
You won't want to miss it! Register today.
And in case you missed them, here are this weeks Mises Wire articles, covering a wide array of topics including libertarianism, the cult of collectivism, what is the source of real wealth, the eye-care industry wants a monopoly, bitcoin, and the Trump budget.
- The Eye-Care Industry Wants Big Government to Crush the Competition by Jonathan Lee
- What Keeps James Bullard Up at Night by C.Jay Engel
- How Washington's Reaction to Trump's Budget Justifies the Rise of Bitcoin by Tho Bishop
- The Trump Budget: Real Cuts vs. the Media Version of "Cuts" by Ryan McMaken
- Audio/Video: Education: Free and Compulsory by Murray Rothbard
- Decentralize the Welfare State by Ryan McMaken
- Rothbard: These Are the Best Libertarian Educators by Joseph T. Salerno
- Wine, Art, and Ferraris: The Bubble in Luxury Goods by Mark Thornton
- Another Member of Mises Cuba is Now Missing by Tho Bishop
- ESPN and the Bursting of the Sports Bubble by William L. Anderson
- Can Libertarians Have Communal Property? by Ryan McMaken
- The Death Cult of Collectivism by Ludwig von Mises
- Is the Sky Falling? by Jeff Deist
- "Primping the Pump: Won't Create Real Wealth by Frank Shostak
- The Drug War: Will the Trump Administration OD on Authoritarianism? by Ron Paul
- How Economists Destroyed Pre-World War II Germany by Ludwig von Mises
- 3 Ways the Critics Get Praxeology Wrong by Jonathan Newman