Week in Review: July 1, 2017
Janet Yellen made headlines this week, assuring the global economy that there's no reason to fear a super bubble, she doesn't expect to see another financial crisis "within our lifetimes." Of course, Ms. Yellen is not the first Federal Reserve chairman to express such confidence about the future — unfortunately, however, such boasts rarely age well. As she and her colleagues continue to ignore the consequences of their own actions, it becomes more important for people to reject policies designed to give them ever more control and demand a return to money beyond the influence of delusional central planners.
Freeing Americans from the control of the Fed was a passion for Dr. Ron Paul while in Congress, and he joins Jeff this week on Mises Weekends. The two talk about his efforts to legalize the use of gold and silver as untaxed currency, and his involvement with sound money initiatives in states like Arizona and Wyoming. Plus he shares some great anecdotes about Reagan's Gold Commission, Alan Greenspan, and Paul Volcker.
And in case you missed them, here are this weeks Mises Wire articles, covering a wide array of topics including: gold standard, interest rates, healthcare, the problems with law schools, public education, and government unhealthcare.
- Did Obamacare Really Save Lives? by Robert Murphy
- Where Ignorance Is Bliss by David Gordon
- Peace Is Popular by Jeff Deist
- The Existence of Evil by Claude Frédéric Bastiat
- Government Medicine: Court Declares Child Should Die Rather Than Receive Privately-Funded Health Care by Ryan McMaken
- No, Mark Carney, Brexit Didn't Cause Inflation — You Did by George Pickering
- Trump's Pricey Love Affair With Saudi Arabia by William D. Hartung
- Myths Behind the War on Cash by Ronald-Peter Stöferle
- A Look at Uncertainty in the UK, Post-Election by Daniel Lacalle
- Canadian Interest Rates Set to Rise? by Caleb McMillan
- Is America Really Coming Apart, As Charles Murray Suggests? by Jeff Deist
- Time to Cash Out of the Banking System? by Joseph T. Salerno
- Jim Grant Explains the Gold Standard by Ryan McMaken
- The Super Bubble Is in Trouble by Thorsten Polleit
- Republican Healthcare Plan Fails the "Jimmy Kimmel Test" by Ron Paul
- The Money-Velocity Myth by Frank Shostak
- The Danger of "Public" Education by Murray Rothbard
- Yes, the Fed Really Is Holding Down Interest Rates by Joseph T. Salerno
- Will the Work Day Shrink to Four Hours? by Randall G. Holcombe
- The American Bar Association Stifles Legal Education by Allen Mendenhall